STEP: Student Education Project Scholarship
On April 22, 2016 Hope4Justice celebrated the winners of the first annual Student Trafficking Education Project (STEP) Scholarship are pictured. You can also view a short video from the 2016-2017 STEP Scholarship.
STEP Scholarship: Overview & Eligibility
The Student Trafficking Education Project (STEP) Scholarship is offered by Hope4Justice, a local anti-human trafficking group. Hope4Justice believes in the power of youth to educate and inform others and has created the STEP Scholarship to recognize the efforts of Whatcom County students involved in human trafficking awareness activities.
Scholarships to be awarded annually:
- One (1) $1000 scholarship to a Whatcom County graduating high school senior planning to attend an institution of higher learning after graduation.
- One (1) $1000 scholarship to a Whatcom Community College student planning to attend WCC for one or more quarters after receiving STEP scholarship.
- One (1) $1000 scholarship to a Western Washington University student planning to attend WWU for one or more quarters after receiving STEP scholarship.
1. High school applicant must be a current 12th grade student enrolled in a Whatcom County High School.
2. Running Start students and home schooled students are welcome to apply for the STEP scholarship.
3. Whatcom Community College applicant must be currently enrolled at WCC. All awareness activities must have taken place while a student at WCC.
4. Western Washington University applicant must be currently enrolled at WWU. All awareness activities must have taken place while a student at WWU.
5. Applicant must complete a minimum of 20 hours of verified human trafficking AWARENESS activities (submitted via Hope4Justice STEP scholarship application form) in order to be eligible for consideration.
6. Verification: Each and every trafficking awareness activity must be verified by an unrelated adult in a supervisory capacity, i.e. school administrator, teacher, counselor, club advisor, youth group leader or pastor, professor, or similar position.
7. Pictures, videos, or other proof of each awareness activity must also be submitted.
8. STEP scholarship submissions must be received by Hope4Justice, 600 Front St., #502, Lynden, WA 98264 by submission deadline of April 15.
9. Winners will be chosen between April 15th and May 15th. Recognition will be after May 15th.
10. Winners agree that all STEP submissions become property of Hope4Justice and may be used in promotions, awareness events or other Hope4Justice publicity efforts. Winner further agrees to allow Hope4Justice to use their name, likeness and school name in local media publicity.
11. At no time will STEP scholarship funds be dispersed directly to the student. Upon proof of enrollment, the STEP scholarship funds will be deposited directly to the student’s chosen school.