March 18, 2017
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
— Galatians 6:9
- Pray for the children rescued from slavery in the fishing industry in Ghana as our aftercare team teaches them about their rights to freedom. It became clear while working with rescued children, that many had no concept of what it meant to have rights under Ghanaian law, or that the law should protect them from abuse. Our aftercare team partnered with a Ghanaian artist to create a beautifully illustrated curriculum called “I Am Worthy,” that talks about rights in a way that children can understand. Our prayer is that this curriculum will help survivors understand their own stories and believe in their inherent dignity and worth.
- Praise God that three girls were set free from sex trafficking last week in the Dominican Republic. Eleven-year-old Alania* was rescued along with two sisters, and they are now safe at an aftercare shelter. Karla,* one of the sisters, turned 13 the day after she was rescued. The IJM team was there to celebrate her with a cake and candles. Pray that these girls will encounter the powerful love of God as they begin to process the trauma of having been sold for sexual exploitation. Pray that the man who was arrested will be tried and brought to justice for his crimes.
- Thank you for praying for more criminal accountability in South Asia—and praise God with us for the conviction of another slave owner! This man had trafficked and enslaved 12 women and men for years at a brutal brick kiln. After a 2.5-year trial (one of our shortest ever), he was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Please pray that more criminals would face justice this year, so we can break the cycle of slavery and show that justice for the poor is truly possible!
- Pray for IJM’s team in the Philippines as they build partnerships with government agencies and aftercare organizations that could provide shelter and other services to cybersex trafficking survivors. Right now there are very few specialized aftercare services for boys and girls who suffer this unique trauma. Ask God to move mightily and build up a powerful network of providers and people who can offer short-term to long-term community-based care for these children as they grow up.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, and the UK.
- Please pray for a Director of Infrastructure Services to join our team. The ideal candidate’s main responsibility is to enable effective use of technology through a secure, scalable and reliable global infrastructure. This person will lead a team responsible for building, maintaining and supporting IJM technology infrastructure, including on-premise and cloud platforms.