March 11, 2017
"Follow justice and justice alone, so that you may live and possess the land the Lord your God is giving you."
— Deuteronomy 16:20
- This week the trial for the murder of our colleague and friends, Willie, Joseph, and Josephat, continued in Kenya. Last year in the wake of the murders we witnessed an incredible outpouring of support from lawyers, activists, and civil-society groups demanding accountability for police abuse of power. Pray that this movement continues and that we are able to continue working closely with police to provide training for ending this abuse of power.
- Praise God for Guatemala’s Attorney General Thelma Aldana, who spoke at our Global Prayer Gathering last weekend in Washington, DC. She shared how God has helped her stand up for women and children’s rights and seek justice in Guatemala. She has indeed been a champion for vulnerable people who need the protection of the law the most. Pray that God would continue to bless her work, keep her family safe, and sustain her by his strength.
- Please pray for one of our teams re-strategizing on a rescue operation that was not successful earlier this week. Local police investigated a sex trafficking case and requested IJM’s assistance in rescuing two minor girls from a brothel. Unfortunately, when we arrived the girls had already run away. Pray that these girls would be safe as our team works hard to find them, rescue them, and escort them to a loving aftercare home. Pray that these girls would trust the IJM social workers, despite the fear and deception instilled in their hearts while they were in bondage.
- Thank you for praying last week with our team in Thailand for a 15-year-old girl who was sexually assaulted by an older man in her village. IJM social workers worked with her to help prepare for her year-end exams, and she is now at an aftercare shelter. Praise God that she is safe, and please pray for wisdom for the IJM lawyer who will be gathering evidence to help build a strong case. Pray for her family as they will remain at their home. Ask God to fortify them with peace and protection as they seek justice.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, and the UK.
- Praise God for the 1,700 people who came to pray with us last weekend at our Global Prayer Gathering. Praise God for everyone who came together to worship and pray for our work around the world. Please pray for our staff who are traveling back home, and for all participants as they discern what to do with the information they learned.
- Please pray for us as we continue to search for a Field Office Director in Bolivia to join our team. We are seeking a proven leader to direct IJM’s Field Office in Bolivia to combat sexual violence against children. This position is based in La Paz, Bolivia, and reports to the Vice President of Regional Operations, Latin America.