“Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him! People of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more. How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you.”
— Isaiah 30:18-19
- Please pray for the families in several cases of property grabbing in Uganda who have had hearings canceled this week. Showing up and testifying in these cases is an act of bravery for the widows who have often experienced threats of violence from members of their own communities. Trial delays can be very discouraging, but despite all the challenges, we are amazed by the strength and faith these women display as they choose to stand up and demand justice for their families. Pray for their continued strength and for the cases to move forward without further delay.
- Please pray for our legal and aftercare teams in Bolivia as they encourage survivors of sexual violence to stay motivated in court. Trials can take several years in Bolivia, and many survivors struggle with facing past trauma over and over in that time. Others face intense family pressure to drop their cases and move on with life. Pray for our team as we seek to help these clients make the decision that’s best for them and their ongoing safety—hopefully a decision for justice.
- Praise God for a conviction this week in a bonded labor slavery case eight years in the making! IJM had helped to rescue six people from violent bondage at a rice mill in 2008, but the legal case against the slave owner dragged for years in the overburdened courts. IJM attorneys attended more than 80 hearings in that time, and we’ve prayed over and over for this judgment to come. Praise God for his answer to our persistence as we boldly celebrate justice served for these survivors!
- Pray for an urgent case in Chiang Mai, Thailand: We are helping to investigate a sexual assault case against a 15-year-old girl. Earlier this week, we learned that village elders were threatening her family and looking for the IJM lawyer, angry that we were helping her family seek justice in a court. Often in rural areas, sexual violence cases are simply settled within the village—which does not hold the criminal accountable or deter others from committing the same abuse. Praise God that the girl is now in a safe place. Pray for wisdom and God’s protection as we continue to pursue justice in this case.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, and the UK.
- Please continue praying for an Art Director/Designer to join our team at HQ. The Art Director will regularly conceptualize creative solutions that effectively communicate the IJM brand strategy and story in the form of marketing campaigns, interactive design, print collateral, films, reports and more. This position is based at IJM Headquarters in the Washington, DC area and reports to the Director of Creative Services.