- In 2012, IJM began a system reform project in Mukono County, Uganda to improve the justice system response when criminals attempt to steal the land of widows. An IJM study showed that nearly one in three widows had their property stolen from them after their husbands died. We are beginning the process now of evaluating the successes, failures and overall impact of our system reform program so we can develop a strong national program that will protect women and children in Uganda from violence. Please pray for all of the IJM staff and the external team conducting the evaluation, that the research would be accurate and the conclusions would lay a foundation for strong programs that will protect thousands of women in the future.
- Praise God for the work of our Guatemala legal team, which has secured more than a dozen convictions this past quarter in cases of sexual violence against children. Pray especially for two sisters, ages 10 and 12, who had been abused and raped by their father. He has been sent to jail for 50 years (the maximum possible penalty by Guatemalan law). The young girls are now safe, but their family dynamics are changing. Pray that God’s love and peace will surround them and their family, and that his love will bring healing. Read more about our work protecting children from sexual violence in Guatemala.
- Please pray for safety in one of our casework cities badly affected by monsoon rains. This same area went through devastating floods in 2015, which paralyzed the city and destroyed the homes of hundreds of survivors of slavery living in the countryside. This year, several of our IJM staff homes have been flooded, and our teams are finding it difficult to visit our clients in rural areas. Please pray for dry weather and God’s protection over our team and the clients we serve.
- Our team in the Philippines has rescued more than 70 victims of cybersex trafficking so far this year. This is well beyond the projected annual target, and we are grateful to God that we were able to work with our government partners in the Philippines to intervene. Please pray for each girl and boy, asking God to restore to them a sense of dignity and worth and give them strong relationships of trust with their IJM social workers. Please also pray for the brave survivors who are participating in trials against the criminals.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and the U.K.
- Join us in praising God for the college students across the U.S. who will be hosting a Freedom Fast on November 10-11. Ask God to give these students wisdom and creativity as they prepare for the event, where they will fast for 24 hours, pray for the poor and the oppressed and rally financial resources for IJM’s work. And please pray that this experience would further ignite a passion for justice in the hearts of participants, mobilizing them to champion justice on their campuses, in their communities and around the world.