“Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.”
— John 3:20
- Pray for the IJM Gulu team as they follow up on several leads for cases of domestic violence. This year, we are conducting a pilot project in Gulu which will help us determine whether IJM can effectively use prosecution as a deterrent to domestic violence. We have yet to take on the first case, and find that women are often under a lot of pressure from their families and communities to drop cases against their partners. Pray that God would lead us to the right women, who we can walk with through their cases to see the abusers convicted. Pray also that this will provide opportunities to fight the stigma against reporting abusive partners.
- Lift up our Latin America teams in prayer as they fervently work to protect children from sex trafficking and sexual violence and inspire others to do the same. The nature of our work exposes our staff to stories, places and realities that are often hard to encounter and digest. Pray for emotional, physical and spiritual health so they can continue walking alongside our survivors and their families. Pray for grace, strength, wisdom and time to rest as they push against countless obstacles to pursue justice for young survivors.
- Praise God for 150+ children, women and men rescued from slavery at an abusive brick kiln this week and for the proactive government officials helping them resettle in freedom. Years ago, it was uncommon for local leaders to admit slavery still existed, let alone to help families in need, but this group of law enforcement officials did a fantastic job caring for the slaves in this kiln and keeping them safe. Today, the families are returning home with medical care, food supplies, new bank accounts, ID cards, police protection and special release certificates that break any bonds to their former owner. Pray for God’s continued blessing on these survivors and strong local officials, and pray for more government officials to follow their lead!
- Pray for IJM Cambodia and IJM Bangkok as they increasingly work together on cases of labor trafficking in the Thai fishing industry.Our study among current and former Burmese and Cambodian fishermen found that trafficking of migrant fishermen on Thai fishing boats has been widespread, and there are common patterns of abuse in the industry. Many trafficking rings operate on both sides of the Thai-Cambodian border, preying upon vulnerable migrant workers and exploiting them in Thailand’s vast seafood industry where these workers face extremely difficult and dangerous working conditions, grueling hours and abuse. Please pray for IJM teams in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and Bangkok, Thailand as they work hand-in-hand to support authorities in both countries to dismantle criminal networks that exploit migrant workers and bring rescue to victims.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and the U.K.
- Please pray for wisdom and creativity for our volunteer teams in cities across the U.S. Pray for these volunteers as they execute on their plans for the year, rallying financial resources, advocacy momentum and prayer support for the work of justice. Ask God to give them great joy as they build the movement to end slavery and stand up for the oppressed.
- Please pray for a Social Media Marketing Manager. We’re looking for someone to inspire and rally a generation in the fight for justice using social media channels. The person in this role will create, sustain and grow a social movement to help end slavery.