“Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.”
— Proverbs 14:31
- Last week we asked for your prayers for the IJM Gulu team as they were reviewing potential cases for the new domestic violence project. Praise God that this week the team was able to identify the first two cases that we will be pursuing. Pray for the two women we are representing, for healing from the abuse they have suffered, and for immense strength as they stand up and ask for their partners to be prosecuted.
- Please pray for a legislative initiative that IJM Guatemala has been working on that would help to shorten the processing time of child sexual assault cases throughout Guatemala. The team had strong support from a number of members of the Guatemalan Congress, but due to some scheduling challenges, the momentum for a vote on the legislation has slowed. Pray that God would give the IJM team wisdom and energy to persevere in advocating for this legislation and that leaders in the Guatemalan government would move it forward to a vote.
- Praise God for a surprise conviction in one of our sex trafficking cases from 2012! In this case, IJM and local police had helped rescue two teen girls from exploitation at a dangerous brothel, where they were physically beaten and forced to use drugs. The brothel keeper was arrested for their abuse and for masterminding a cross-border trafficking ring. We were not sure the courts would find this woman guilty due to some complications in the case, but we were overjoyed when the ruling came down on Tuesday on behalf of justice! Praise God for this breakthrough, and pray the news of the conviction will be encouraging for the brave girls who survived this ordeal.
- Pray for the physical and spiritual health of the IJM staff in the Philippines as they fight to end cybersex trafficking. Cybersex trafficking of children is one of the most difficult issues of violence in the world – even seasoned law enforcement have a very hard time withstanding for long. We have an intense staff and spiritual care program for the Philippines, but please pray for God’s supernatural protection over the hearts and minds of our staff.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and the U.K.
- Please lift up the local prayer gatherings happening in communities across the U.S. over the next few months, beginning with Boston, Lincoln, Raleigh, Charleston and Southern California in the next two weeks. Join us in praising God for the volunteers who are leading these gatherings, and please pray that the events would rally more and more people to step into the fight against slavery through prayer.
- Please pray for the open role of Vice President & Controller. IJM is seeking a talented leader to provide financial oversight for all aspects of financial reporting and compliance, accounting services, grants accounting and tax compliance. The Vice President & Controller will lead the accounting organization and is crucial in fostering financial leadership throughout the organization.