“A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice; he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth. In his teaching the islands will put their hope.”
— Isaiah 42:3-4
- Thank you for praying with us this month for the IJM Uganda team as they expand casework beyond land theft to address other forms of violence against women. Last week you prayed for the Gulu team as they evaluated cases of domestic violence, and we saw the first ever conviction for domestic violence in an IJM case! Please continue to pray for Akello* — as we shared on May 5, she endured abuse for 10 years of her marriage before a particularly violent attack pushed her to bring legal charges against her husband. Please pray for her and her family's healing, and for wisdom for the IJM team as they work closely with her.
- Please pray for two sisters in Bolivia, both survivors of sexual violence, as they prepare to give their testimony . Pray for safe travels for them and their mother as they come from their remote community to the city for the court case. Pray for God’s peace in the girls’ hearts as they prepare and bravely share their stories, and pray for wisdom for our team in helping them prepare. Pray that the prosecutor will use their testimony to make a just call against their alleged perpetrator, a former teacher. Finally, pray for great clarity and communication at this hearing — one of the sisters will be sharing her testimony in Spanish and the other one will be using an interpreter as she is sharing in Aymara (a native language).
- Praise God for the conviction of three brothel owners after a six-year trial, and please pray for peace for all involved in the case. This husband, wife and sister-in-law had been selling five girls and young women for sex in a dirty hotel, until IJM and anti-trafficking police staged a rescue operation in August 2012. Now, they will each spend 10 years in jail for their crimes. Pray they would accept what they have done and find inner redemption, and pray the news of these convictions would be an encouragement to the survivors who are now living freely.
- Pray for the IJM teams seeking to rescue victims trafficked into Thailand’s fishing industry. Pray also for favor and wisdom as the team builds relationships with police and prosecutors in both Thailand and Cambodia (where many of the traffickers target victims). Pray that we would see an end to modern slavery in this industry
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and the U.K.
- Please pray for the final 2018 Local Prayer Gatherings unfolding in Dayton, Cincinnati and Atlanta next week. Join us in praising God for the volunteers who are leading these gatherings, and please pray that the events would rally more and more people to step into the fight against slavery through prayer.
- Please pray for great candidates for the Director of Strategic Partnerships for Houston, Austin and San Antonio. The person in this role has the opportunity to meaningfully engage donors in our work, showing how their joyful financial partnership can bring freedom and rescue to thousands.