“God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood — to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished — he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.”
— Romans 3:25-26
- Praise God that this week the case against IJM client Josephat Mwenda in Kenya was thrown out for lack of evidence. Josephat had been arrested and falsely accused of a crime by police, but he was determined to fight back against the wrongful charges. He and IJM investigator Willie, and their driver, Joseph, were abducted and murdered in 2016 after leaving court. Pray for Josephat’s family as they process this public recognition of their loved one’s innocence, and pray for the ongoing trial for Willie, Joseph and Josephat’s murder.
- Praise God for six Venezuelan women who are now free from sexual exploitation in the Dominican Republic. On June 22, IJM attorneys and social workers supported a rescue operation organized by an IJM-trained anti-trafficking unit of the Attorney General’s office. The survivors shared that they had been recruited by the alleged traffickers while they were still in Venezuela. The traffickers promised them good jobs and paid for their flights to the Dominican Republic, but upon arrival their passports were confiscated, each woman was told she had to pay off $1,400 and they were forced into sex work. Praise God for this anti-trafficking unit, who are putting this training in practice to protect their people and end sex trafficking. Read the full story .
- Please pray for our team attempting to find two teenage girls being exploited by a private sex trafficking network. We had been working with police for weeks to rescue these girls, but at the last minute they were moved from the target location. This is often the case with these private networks, which operate out of homes or apartments rather than traditional brothels. Pray our teams could re-strategize quickly to find the girls and rescue them from sex trafficking. Also pray there would be no tip-offs that could make the traffickers grow suspicious and move the girls.
- Praise God for a cybersex trafficking operation in the Philippines that led to five children being rescued! IJM’s team in Manila supported Philippine officials in the successful operation, which also resulted in the arrest of two suspected traffickers who offered to sexually abuse the children and share it online in exchange for payments from foreign customers. All five children, the youngest of whom was just eight months old, are now in the care of Philippine social services. Pray that God would bring rescued survivors tangible peace and comfort in the coming days, that he would keep them safe and that he would give them the strength they need to heal from the abuse.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and the U.K.
- Please pray for U.S. advocates who are asking their elected officials to continue U.S. leadership of and support for the fight against slavery. Pray for wisdom and perseverance for these advocates, and that God would move the hearts of government officials to use their power on behalf of people trapped in slavery.