“Are any among you suffering? They should pray. Are any cheerful? They should sing songs of praise. Are any among you sick? They should call for the elders of the church and have them pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord. The prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise them up; and anyone who has committed sins will be forgiven.”
— James 5:13-15
- Thank you for all your prayers for the IJM Kenya team over the past year and a half since the murders of our staff and client during a police abuse of power case. In the wake of the murders, IJM launched an online petition seeking justice and demanding the immediate removal of the Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) in charge of the police force accused of the extrajudicial killings. On January 5, 2018, President Uhuru Kenyatta replaced the DIG as requested. Praise God for this movement toward justice for victims of police abuse in Kenya, and pray that leaders would continue to hear the cries of the oppressed and require accountability from the police force that should be protecting them.
- Pray for a 14-year-old survivor of sexual violence in Guatemala. After her stepfather raped her, local authorities relocated her to live with a member of her extended family. Sadly, in this new place, she started dating a gang member and was at risk of becoming part of the gang. For her safety, local authorities sent her to a government shelter. After a time there, she ran away. Please pray for God’s protection over her life, and pray for her to return to a place of safety and restoration.
- Please pray for breakthrough with the chief minister of one of the states where we work. Similar to a governor, this official has a lot of power — each state can be like a small country — and he has significant influence on the resources and policies that affect our work. IJM has made great progress with lower-level officials on modern-day slavery, and now our teams need support from this higher-level state leader to make the fight impactful and sustainable. Pray we can secure a meeting with him and begin building a fruitful relationship to end slavery and trafficking for good!
- This week, a Philippines court announced the conviction of a man who trafficked girls and young women for sex. Join us in praising God for justice in this case, and pray for the survivors’ continued journeys toward healing and wholeness as they overcome the trauma of this abuse.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and the U.K.
- Please pray for wisdom and creativity for our volunteer teams in cities across the U.S. Pray for these volunteers as they plan for the year, outlining goals and strategies to rally financial resources, advocacy momentum and prayer support for the work of justice. Ask God to give them great joy as they build the movement to end slavery and stand up for the oppressed.