December 23, 2017
“ ‘Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,’ declares the Lord.”
— Jeremiah 1:8
- Praise God, this month we celebrated the 5-year anniversary of the opening of our IJM Gulu office in Uganda to combat land theft. Since opening, the Gulu team and local partners have brought relief to more than 550 widows, orphans and their family members who had suffered from having their land stolen from them. This month, the Gulu team held events and meetings with communities to spread further awareness, and several widows shared their experiences of land theft. Pray that these events would spur on communities to take responsibility for protecting the most vulnerable in their midst, and that Gulu would become a place where women feel safe and supported to thrive as they care for themselves and their families.
- Praise God for all the children we have been able to rescue in 2017 with our local partners across the Latin America region. Lift up these young survivors of sexual violence and sex trafficking, and their families, as they continue working towards restoration with our social workers and psychologist. Pray for protection, for healing and for them to experience God’s transforming and unconditional love through each interaction they have with our staff members. Lastly, pray for them to be able to find healthy community support that can help them thrive.
- Pray for renewed strategy and wisdom for our investigations teams preparing cases for early 2018. Ask for God’s protection over them as they go into new and dangerous places to find families being exploited for labor in brick kilns, rock quarries and other industries. Pray that they can gain enough solid evidence to move local officials to action and rescue these families quickly in the new year.
- Praise God for the thousands of people who have finally become Thai citizens this year. Hundreds of men, women and children belonging to hill tribes (ethnic minority groups) became Thai citizens thanks to the proactive leadership of a single governor. Praise God for him, and pray that he would be able to influence other leaders who also have the mandate and ability to process citizenship applications. (Learn more about IJM’s work in Northern Thailand , where we are helping hill tribe people advocate for their rightful citizenship and the freedoms it brings.)
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and the U.K.
- Praise God for the over 4,000 vulnerable children, women and men who are celebrating Christmas in freedom this year. Thank God for the opportunity to partner with government officials to bring these survivors of slavery and other violent oppression to safety. And please pray for these survivors as they receive aftercare from IJM teams and our partners, asking God to draw near to them on their journey towards health and wholeness.