“For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing.”
— Deuteronomy 10:17-18
- Praise God that a judge has recognized the strength of a case against a powerful police officer accused of beating a man to death in prison in 2013. The Independent Police Oversight Authority, an IJM partner, then investigated the murder and oversaw the charging of the suspected police officer with the crime. We can thank God that this month the judge determined that the prosecution team had presented enough evidence for the trial to proceed. Pray that true justice would be done in this case.
- Earlier this month, we asked you to join our Guatemala team in prayer for the creation of a Sex Offender Registry and a Genetic Databank. Praise God for his faithfulness; Congress approved the bill our team was helping promote! The passage of this bill is a major step forward to secure protection for Guatemalan children and it opens a space for technology to be used to prevent sexual violence from happening in the first place. The bill is still pending a signature by the president, so we invite you to continue praying with us. Pray for the Guatemalan president to sign the bill and to make sure that the necessary resources for its implementation are fully allocated.
- Please pray for our recruitment efforts for key roles across South Asia. We are growing many of our teams — from casework to partnerships to government relationships — to build on crucial momentum in the anti-slavery movement. Adding staff early in 2018 will help us rescue thousands and combat trafficking in all its forms. Pray we can find strong, loving and motivated candidates to join our team!
- IJM's teams in the Philippines are hosting a series of Christmas parties for our clients and the staff at aftercare shelters where many of the young women and children live. Praise God for the local churches that are providing space, food, activities and support. Pray that the clients would be blessed by these celebratory events and reminded of God's love for them. Pray also for the church partners to be blessed and inspired to work with us in new and deeper ways next year.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and the U.K.
- Please pray for strength and creativity for IJM’s team around the world — for our team at HQ, our partner offices, our field offices and for our volunteers — as we run hard to finish 2017 with strong momentum. Pray that God would grant health and endurance, and for good rest over Christmas as we celebrate the good news of the incarnation and prepare for the year ahead.