"The cowering prisoners will soon be set free; they will not die in their dungeon, nor will they lack bread. For I am the Lord your God, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar- the Lord almighty is his name."
— Isaiah 51: 14-15
- Pray for our Kenya team as they conduct community dialogues in poor communities that have been targets for police abuse and extrajudicial killings. These meetings give community members a chance to share their stories with local police and IJM partners, discussing how to better address the issue. We have been encouraged by positive media about the dialogues, and the Inspector General instructing police to support this “noble cause” by attending the sessions. Pray that participants will be emboldened to share the truth about police abuse, and that the officers attending will be receptive and inspired to lead the charge for better policing.
- Praise God that a Dominican court upheld justice for Liana,* a teenage girl who is healing and thriving after months of being sold for sex by her own mother. Though her mother was convicted in October for selling and exploiting her young daughter, she later appealed the court’s decision. Last week, however, the appellate court affirmed the trial court’s judgment. Join us in thanking God for this strong act of justice, and praying that Liana’s stepfather—who is also accused of exploiting her for sex—is held accountable for his crimes in an upcoming trial.
- Last month, we asked you to pray for a 15-year-old girl being sexually exploited in a high-end brothel. Our first attempt to rescue her was unsuccessful—but just last week police were able to find her again and rescue her! Today she is recovering in an aftercare shelter, and the madam who was enslaving her has been arrested. Thank you for your faithful prayers! Please continue to pray that the madam will be kept in custody, and pray for ongoing healing for this young survivor.
- Please pray for our team in Thailand as they work to bring justice in an ongoing sexual assault trial. The accused has confessed to the crime, but an official judgment is not set to take place until mid-July. Please pray for a fair judgment and sentence as our team prepares for the final judicial meeting in this case. Please also pray for continued healing for the survivor.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, and the UK.
- Please pray for our Advocacy & Mobilization team as they continue to recruit and train volunteers in cities throughout the U.S. Pray for wisdom and creativity for these volunteers as they rally financial resources, advocacy momentum and prayer support for our work, and ask God to use them as part of a movement to make justice for the poor unstoppable.