April 29, 2017
"And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?"
— Luke 18:7
- Praise God for the largest IJM Ghana rescue to date, resulting in freedom for 30 children who had been forced to work in the fishing industry on Lake Volta. The IJM Ghana team worked with police to rescue 29 boys, one six-year-old girl and an adult man from the lake, while police arrested 11 suspected traffickers who had been profiting from their forced labor. The rescued children are now safe in aftercare shelters where they will receive trauma care and any needed medical treatment while the aftercare team works to locate their families and ensure they have a safe home to return to. Pray for their healing after the abuse they have suffered, that they would be restored to complete health and able to thrive in school and their communities.
- Join us in praying for strong candidates for the Director of Investigations and Law Enforcement Development position in the Dominican Republic. This leader will be key in building the capacity of Dominican law enforcement to effectively investigate cases of child sex trafficking, hold suspected traffickers accountable for their crimes and treat victims in a sensitive, trauma-focused manner. Pray that God would bring individuals who have extensive law enforcement experience and are fueled by a strong passion for the work of justice.
- Please pray for our legal team as they finish several important trials against slave owners and traffickers. It can take several years for a case to progress through the overburdened courts, so these teams have already invested hundreds of hours and dozens of trips back and forth to courtrooms to bring these cases so far. Seeing criminals actually sent to jail for their crimes is rare, but a huge deterrent to others who try to abuse the poor—so we are praying for strong convictions in these cases to prove that justice for the poor is possible.
- Praise God for a successful training workshop for church leaders in Cambodia, the first of several that we’ll be holding this year in Cambodia. The goal of these workshops is to equip church leaders with knowledge and tools that they can use to fight human trafficking. We will host them in provinces across the country, inviting leaders from rural provinces so they can take what they learn back to communities that are most vulnerable to labor trafficking. Several government officials spoke at the first training, and a combination of law enforcement, IJM and other NGO staff led the workshop. Praise God for this collaboration and unity in the fight against slavery in Cambodia.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, and the UK.
- Please pray for us as we search for a Human Resources Systems Analyst – Global Rollout to join our team. IJM is seeking a professional to work with the People Operations/Human Resources (PO) team to manage Workday, IJM’s Human Capital Management (HCM) system. The HR Systems Analyst acts as a resource for all users throughout the organization to provide information and support in regards to PO systems and leads efforts to optimize the systems. The Systems Analyst will also be an integral part of the organization’s global Enterprise Resource Planning project and will sit in Washington, D.C.