Hope4Justice is passionate about preventing trafficking of our young people! Although the average age (worldwide) of a young person first being trafficked for sex is 12-13, we say "Not our kids!"
Parents, teachers, youth workers and everyone interested in preventing young people from ensnarement in trafficking are invited to attend this week's special Hope4Justice meeting from 7-8:30 pm on Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at Engedi Refuge Counseling Center. (Directions below.)
There will be an overview of the Deceptions curriculum, information about the STEP scholarship, and resources for parents, teachers and people working with youth.
Sometimes the issue of trafficking seems overwhelming. But making a difference comes down to these basic components:
- Target audience: local middle and high schoolers
- Goal: Prevention of trafficking through student education and involvement
- Strategies: Deceptions curriculum, STEP scholarship promotion, and equipping parents and those working with youth with usable knowledge
Join Hope4Justice on 11/28/2017 and bring a friend with you. Let's traffick-proof our kids!
Want to learn more about the face of modern-day slavery? Visit www.hope4justice.org/learnmore/
Shopping for Christmas
Check out these websites for fair-trade Christmas gifts:
- Noonday Collection: a business that uses fashion to create meaningful opportunities around the world.
- Equal Exchange: Equal Exchange started with an idea: what if food could be traded in a way that is honest and fair, a way that empowers both farmers and consumers? Shop here for fairly traded coffee, tea, chocolate, fruits, nuts, and gifts.
ON THE CALENDAR
Saturday, December 2, 2017, 5:30 - 9:00 PM:
Comfort & Joy Celebration to benefit Rebound of Whatcom County.
Location: Ferndale Events Center, 5715 Barrett Rd., Ferndale, WA
Appetizers, beverages, and dessert will be served.
Semi-formal attire suggested.
Cost: $50 per person. Purchase tickets online at www.reboundfamilies.org
Get involved in Dressember!
What is Dressember? It's a international movement to fight trafficking, Participants commit to wear a dress or tie every day during the month of December and secure sponsors to support their involvement. Funds raised go to well-vetted anti-trafficking organizations.
Hope4Justice holds quarterly public meetings from 7-8:30 pm at the Engedi Counseling Center, 7370 Guide Meridian, Lynden, WA 98264.
Directions to Engedi Counseling Center: From Wiser Lake roundabout head North on Guide Meridian; immediately after Simple Box Storage Containers turn right into the driveway and drive to the second building on the left