“So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known.”
— Matthew 10:26
- Praise God that last week in Kenya, in a non-IJM case, a police officer with a reputation for killing suspected criminals was convicted of murder. This is the first time in Kenya that a police officer has been convicted of murder instead of a lesser crime. The IJM team in Kenya has been doubling down to fight police abuse following the brutal murder of an IJM client, staff member and driver in June 2016. All too often, police have been able to use their power to extort bribes, throw people in prison on false accusations, or even murder without being held accountable. We are heartened to see an instance of police regulatory agencies successfully using the law to hold an abusive police officer accountable for his crime. Please pray with us that this case will send the message that police abuse is not tolerated in Kenya.
- Please pray for Jeremias,* a survivor of sexual violence in Bolivia.He was abused by a family friend, and IJM has been supporting him with trauma-focused therapy and by representing him in court. A couple of weeks ago, Jeremias and his younger brother were biking and his brother had an accident that took his life. The family has gone through so much hardship — pray that God will comfort them in such a painful time. Specifically, pray with us for Jeremias as he grieves and still awaits a verdict in his case. Pray for strength and peace, and that in the midst of this tragedy, he and his family will feel God’s love more tangibly than ever.
- Please pray for a 33-year-old woman just rescued from 15 years of domestic servitude by one of IJM’s trained partners in South Asia.She had been forced to work exhausting hours cleaning and maintaining homes, and she was never allowed to leave. Praise God for her miraculous rescue and for our partner NGO working in their own community to free people from slavery. Pray for this woman’s emotional journey home, and for millions of other women and children who are trapped in domestic servitude in South Asia, that they may be found and rescued soon.
- Justice was served this week in the Philippines, as back-to-back convictions in two cases of child sex trafficking held two criminals accountable under the law. Join us in praising God that the courts listened to the victims and ruled justly, and for the perseverance of IJM’s team in Cebu — one of the cases has been ongoing since 2011! Pray also for the survivors’ continued healing and strength.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and the U.K.
- Please pray for the launch of IJM’s spring advocacy campaign,Hidden No More: The Digital March to End Slavery. Ask God to move in the hearts of people across the United States, mobilizing them to advocate for their elected officials to protect resources that combat slavery around the world.