“He saves the needy from the sword in their mouth; he saves them from the clutches of the powerful. So the poor have hope, and injustice shuts its mouth.”
— Job 5:15-16
- The trial of suspected traffickers, arrested in the January 2017 rescue operation in Ghana, has begun. Please pray that the prosecutors will do their job diligently and passionately throughout the trial. Pray also for understanding and excellent coordination between IJM attorneys and the police prosecutors.
- Last year we asked you to join our Guatemala team in prayer for the creation of a Sex Offender Registry and a DNA Bank which we believe will protect thousands of children from sexual violence. God answered our prayers! Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales officially approved this bill earlier this year. Our Field Office Director in Guatemala said, “The sex offender registry is a reflection of the great shift that the government has made in prioritizing the protection of children from sexual violence.” Thanks for praying with us!
- Please pray for a large-scale rescue operation IJM and our partners conducted this week in South Asia. Our teams have spent the last several months investigating a group of several villages — spread out over a broad swath of countryside — where hundreds of families have been held in bondage to powerful farm owners. The rescue operation began on Monday, but the scale and spread of this case means it will take many days or even weeks to complete. Please pray for safety for our teams and the local authorities, for encouragement for the victims being rescued and for good follow-up to keep these families safe and apprehend their alleged abusers.
- Praise God that 471 children in one district in Northern Thailand received Thai ID cards this week, confirming their status as legal citizens of Thailand. As we shared last week, hundreds of thousands of people from ethnic minority groups in Northern Thailand are not recognized as citizens — despite their legal right. Without this recognition, stateless people are not protected by any nation’s laws, are often denied access to education or medical care, and are more vulnerable to violence and abuse as a result. Join us in thanking God that these children will grow up as Thai citizens and in praying that their lives will flourish.
IJM HQ & Global Partners
IJM has partner offices in Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands and the U.K.
- Please join us in prayer for The Freedom Project Tour, launching this month. Pray that the ten events — a partnership between author Jennie Allen, musician Christy Nockels and IJM — would equip and inspire attendees to experience freedom in their own lives and set others free in turn.